Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock - Book Review



















Title: Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock 

Publication: May 8, 2012 
Series: Hemlock #1 
Format: Ebook 
My Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

Summary:

Fans of Maggie Stiefvater and the hit television show True Blood will flock to this first book in the supernatural mystery series set in a town where werewolves live in plain sight.

Mackenzie Dobson's life has been turned upside down since she vowed to hunt her best friend Amy's killer: a white werewolf. Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country, and bloodlust is not easy to control. But it soon becomes clear that dangerous secrets are lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, Mac's hometown—and she is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her in grave danger.

My Review:

This was an awesome book! I loved it, the ending took me awhile to get into it but once I was captivated, I couldn't put the book down. There were a lot of different clues through the book, it had me thinking everyone was a suspect. I thought this was a well written story that had me at the edge of my seat. I was considering dropping the book after the first few chapters but I am sure glad I didn't put it away. I jumped into this book thinking it was a standalone so I thought everything was going to end through this one, after finishing the book and finding out it was a series I was a little pissed but relieved that there is more to the (kind - of) cliffhanger that ended the book.  

- Mac
I enjoyed Mac's character. I had a feeling that there was going to be a love triangle through, thank the lords there wasn't but I have a bad feeling that there will be one in the next book. Hopefully not, but I am just a little concerned on that. Mac is very intelligent, she drew conclusions with little pieces of information. I was astonished with what she came up with.  

- Kyle
I love Kyle. I was not so surprised that he was a werewolf but I was with how it was presented. I think that Kyle is very protective of Mac, which is a good thing in a boyfriend, but it is just romantic (and I believe ridiculously stupid) to think it would protect her if he left. Thank god he waited to the end too. I believe the thing I didn't like at all was the ex girlfriend through this book. I just thought she was a side character that shouldn't have been into the book. The book would have been perfectly fine without her, I mean sure she needed to be in it for the main thing of why she was but adding her to one of the scenes was not that enjoyable. I just found it rather annoying.

- Lucas
At first, I thought Lucas was so much better than Kyle. But after joining the trackers, he just annoyed me and I couldn't see him as a boyfriend to Mac. I didn't believe he was a true friend, just gave in every wolf. I didn't like him at all. Sure he became better in the end but I am not convinced. I don't want there to a be a love triangle in the next book. I hope I am right, because it would be horrible if there were.  

Overall, I really loved this book. I thought most of the scenes were awesome, only just a few that I found myself bored. This book had me at the edge of my seat, I say again because it is true. I thought the ending was perfect but not the ending ending. The chapter before the ending. The ending itself was horrible, not in a way where it was terrible but horrible in a way where I am upset that it ended-in-a-kind-of-cliff-hanger horrible. I am making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Anyway, I loved the book. That sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment