Thursday, July 31, 2014

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler - Book Review



















Title: Twenty Boy Summer 
Author: Sarah Ockler 
Publication: June 1, 2009 
Series: None. 
Format: Hardcover 
My Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

Summary:

"Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it." 
"Okay." 
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?" 
"Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?"  

According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.

My Review:

This was a great book. In the beginning, you see the relationship between Anna and Matt and the tragic accident that took Matt's life. I was very upset about that. Just that part alone had me crying. I thought this would be more like the book Boy Crazy by Hailey Abbott. I thought there would be more boys but it all just landed on two boys, for some reason, I didn't really like that. It didn't feel like a Twenty Boy Summer at all.  
- Anna
I really liked Anna's character. I thought it would be pretty hard for her to move on after Matt but I did not expect Frankie to do what she did. Anyway, back to Anna, I was happy for her for finding someone else after awhile, even though it was just one for summer. I am glad the ending didn't end like I thought it would, it ended very cute and I thought the book was really good.  

- Frankie
I did not like Frankie's character. I didn't think she was a great best friend and I guess I didn't like her character at all. She was a liar and she had the nerve to get all mad at Anna, I just couldn't believe how she acted. I did not like Frankie at all. Even though things worked out in the end I still didn't like her. I would have brought a star down because of her but I really liked the book so I kept it to 5 stars.

Overall, this was a great book. And this was another great contemporary summer romance read. I had a good feeling about picking this up from the library and I am glad that it wasn't a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment